Spam

Announcements, maintenance etc.. Boring.
jbikker

Spam

Postby jbikker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 pm

The amount of spam this forum receives is quickly growing. Also, we had 499 users yesterday, of which 440 never made a single post (or rather: none that got approved). So yesterday I took the liberty to delete all users with zero posts. Clearly, this is risky: perhaps I deleted users that were simply lurking. It did get rid of the 25 birthdays on the frontpage... Also, I noticed that a lot of users registered from the same IP address. I blocked 4 IP addresses, to reduce future flood.

A backup of the forum has been made yesterday, before the purge. Let me know if you want the copy (to prevent a future total black-out and total data loss like we had before).

- Jacco.

zsolnai

Re: Spam

Postby zsolnai » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Thank you. I don't have any posts here (only at the old ompf forum), therefore I hope you don't mind this one to avoid any future deletion. :)

Arite

Postby Arite » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Can I suggest a couple of changes to registration which might reduce spam:
  • Change the CAPTCHA from the default to reCAPTCHA (need to register domain with google, but then should work fine - it's been built into phpBB for a while).
  • Add in a custom profile field for registration - for more info see here:
    http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/custom- ... mmer-tool/
    Could be something really obvious like "1+1=", or something more involved. Basically it should put off automated registration scripts and the like.
Finally, something I haven't tried but has been shown to work well is the ModSecurity web application firewall. It's an Apache module (not phpBB mod).

Cheers, Arite.

jbikker

Postby jbikker » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:28 am

zsolnai wrote:Thank you. I don't have any posts here (only at the old ompf forum), therefore I hope you don't mind this one to avoid any future deletion. :)

No problem. :) Sorry for deleting you!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:13 am

Arite wrote:Can I suggest a couple of changes to registration which might reduce spam:
  • Change the CAPTCHA from the default to reCAPTCHA (need to register domain with google, but then should work fine - it's been built into phpBB for a while).
  • Add in a custom profile field for registration - for more info see here:
    http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/custom- ... mmer-tool/
    Could be something really obvious like "1+1=", or something more involved. Basically it should put off automated registration scripts and the like.
Finally, something I haven't tried but has been shown to work well is the ModSecurity web application firewall. It's an Apache module (not phpBB mod).

Cheers, Arite.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! I'm not a phpBB expert et al., so this is highly appreciated. reCAPTCHA has been enabled now. I'll check the custom profile field later.

larsb

Postby larsb » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:27 am

So I'll also post here to avoid being deleted again.

Chris Morris

Postby Chris Morris » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:46 am

saving myself as well

guo

Postby guo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 am

OK. So I have to stop lurking to avoid being deleted again. :)

dsavi

Postby dsavi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:19 am

Same here. :razz:

stalker

Postby stalker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Another pointless post to prevent future deletion :oops:

Return to “ompf2”