Csillámtrace - my new graphics engine

Practical and theoretical implementation discussion.
toxie

Re: Csillámtrace - my new graphics engine

Postby toxie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:26 pm

it's very glitchy on my machine (especially when using the two highest resolution modes), and also seems to have some kind of memory leak, as windows has to swap out every now and then until it crashes at some point.
also jumping up the stairs is very difficult as one keeps getting stuck in the blocks often. and please reduce the amount of DOF as often one cannot even see excatly where one has to jump next.
Better you leave here with your head still full of kitty cats and puppy dogs.

sirpalee

Postby sirpalee » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:52 pm

It runs fine, when I use the lowest resolution on a mobile I7 CPU, but it doesn't work on Centos 6.4, the usual problem. Can you target an older glibc?

./darktower_x86-64.lnx: /lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./darktower_x86-64.lnx)
./darktower_x86-64.lnx: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by ./darktower_x86-64.lnx)

My issues with the game / engine.

- Everything is blocky, and lots of small black points are jumping around. Quite annoying.
- Slow, compared to aruana (sorry I always mistype the name). At 800x400 it's simply unusable.
- Controls are like from the 90s. Either use the mouse, or introduce something like in croc, that worked fine for situations like this. Or just simply support the mouse, and instead of turning, do sidestepping when pressing a or d.
- Camera is locked to the character, that's usually a very bad idea. Try to add some extra movement there.
- Jumping is slow and buggy.
- DoF is too much.

Geri

Postby Geri » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:23 pm

toxie: yes, the 32 bit windows version have some kind of memory fragmentation problems, and after a few deaths, it crashes for some unknown reason. i have discovered this bug a few days ago, after releasing the game. but it does not happens on my computer for some reason, so first i will have to find a computer that produces this problem.

sirpalee: hi, long time no speak. i would need an older linux installation with older glibc and gcc to compile a binary for older gcc-s. maybe glibc and gcc update available for centos instead?

-dotty, blocky: yes. block reducing techniques are in my mind, maybe implemented in next year.
-aruana vs csillám: nope. dont forget that this have a complete, real gameplay with full phisics, controlled character, interactive scene and enemies, music, sound. besides, aruana is maybe ~20-25% faster on scenes with small polygon number like this, above, my code becomes significant faster.
-controls - i wanted to add mouse to look around too, but it not worked. i didnt wanted to spend much time on this game competiton, to find out, why.
-camera, jumping --> will not fixed, compo over after 4 days, i have now other things to do.
-dof <- necessary. it makes the things a bit faster. on doffy points, i can bypass some work.
Csontos kezünkbe a nyomor
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Postby Geri » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:32 pm

update: now, due to the fragmentation issuges, the windows version is limited to 320x160. who want to get full experience, please run the 64 bit linux version. i dont support windows any more aniway.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

sirpalee

Postby sirpalee » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Ok, let me rephrase :), aruana feels faster. From my experiences, the rest of the stuff should be fine on "less" one core. As I said, it feels slower, but maybe I'm not taking some background stuff into account.

GLIBC - sadly I cannot update that. Is there any chance for using an older compiler / glibc? (maybe a small VM?) Or a 64bit OSX version would do as well.

Anyway continue making games! It would be good to see more raytraced games in the future. (even though I'm not a believer... yet)

Geri

Postby Geri » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:58 pm

yes, i have a compilation environment with a fully working legacy 64 bit linux installation with a distrib from 2007.
somewhere.
that can produce more widely usable binaries, however, sadly somewhat slower binaries.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

sirpalee

Postby sirpalee » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 am

Ok, I'm fine with that, but maybe it would worth setting up a centos 6, that's more or less the common lowest linux these days. If it runs there, it runs everywhere.

One more question, would you mind telling me, how many rays are you using per pixel? (camera, shadow, gi all summed) 2-3-4?

Geri

Postby Geri » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 am

depends. at default, 2-3 around the character, maximum around 8 becouse of recursion of shiney evil spheres. the engine works automaticly, so i have no control, how large precisely the ray counter is. also in this scene, no gi, just ssao.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Postby Geri » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:55 pm

okay i tryed to compile with that old linux, however, the result is broken (no geometry + crash). i am afraid i cant give release for older glibc.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

sirpalee

Postby sirpalee » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 pm

What about intel compiler? It generates really good quality code (better than gcc), and you are still able to build binaries compatible with older glibcs.

(you can easily get a 30 day trial)

Return to “General Development”