Csillámtrace - my new graphics engine

Practical and theoretical implementation discussion.
Geri

Re: Csillámtrace - my new graphics engine

Post by Geri » Tue May 15, 2012 2:37 pm

fps independent high quality motion blur

Csontos kezünkbe a nyomor
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Post by Geri » Mon May 28, 2012 10:09 pm

i optimized another 25% in speed
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Post by Geri » Tue May 29, 2012 7:14 pm

the engine now can use hibrid rendering: immediate swap to polygon based ray tracing, with real time texture mapping. purple color indicates where the new algorithm activates, green color indicates that where the algorithm was actually able to switch to polygon based ray tracing, and bilinearry filtered texture addressing. The algorithm only affects the locations that have greater difference in the color, and on near voxels, depends on the texturing, intelligently, automaticly selects those areas, where the hibrid rendering can be accessed. as on the picture, it can result mutch better graphics output without incrasing the voxel number or resolution to 10x or so, only pushing the memory requietment with 35% more, and requires 30% speed (wich will hopefully domesticated back to soon 20% i hope)
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Post by Geri » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 am

now i have again some mentionable bottlenecks in the pre or postprocess.

maybe i will reach 800x400 on a 8-12 core computer in playable speeds.

i also fixed a problem that caused the far voxels to flicker. the x86 fpu caused the problem, a *=1.000001f in the required place solved the issue.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Post by Geri » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:36 am

i made an acceleration structure for the lights also. From the advice from my friend, if i want once to manage 10000 lights simultanously, or so.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Post by Geri » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 pm

20000 light without notable speed drop - done.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

toxie

Post by toxie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:29 am

will there be a downloadable demo at some point? curious to see all that in action.. :)
Better you leave here with your head still full of kitty cats and puppy dogs.

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:06 am

Geri wrote:20000 light without notable speed drop - done.
Sounds interesting. May I ask how you do that? How do you figure out which lights illuminate a pixel? I always had troubles getting glossy brdfs to work correctly when I tried this.

Geri

Post by Geri » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:01 am

toxie: its very fugly at the moment, and nothing to see - i havent even made the effects yet, just sucking with the scene management. but i can give you executables through skype or msn, but i dont take responsibility if cthulhu walks out from your computer = ^ ^ =

Serendipity: basically:
int * lights[10][10][10]
int lights_num[10][10][10]
(of course not *literally* this crap, just logically makes this. also detects the dimensions automatically, minimum 8x8x8, maximum 34x34x34)

but above 20k light, the code starts to slow down - the acc. structure suddenly eats the cache memory. but not a problem, why da fuck would i use such many lights aniway ... .. .. maybe with this, for example i can render a lighter in every soldier's arm of an army from 20k soldier.
Ezer év rúnáit véste

Geri

Post by Geri » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 am

static lighting:
ligting+shadows now can be statically precached to the static objects, so they dont need to trace the whole scene for shadows on those voxels.

i will add an updater that updates this staticness only if its necessary (for example if the light changes position on it, or an object that casts shadow on the specified vox, is moving) so it may will be able to turn it on on the whole scene. this would mean that the global illumination will be complitely free on these objects
Ezer év rúnáit véste