My first Supersize-Image

Show-off, reference material & tools.
dawelter

Re: My first Supersize-Image

Post by dawelter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi!

This is indeed very impressive, XMAMan!

Say, have you tried to render the atmosphere/cloud scene with UPBP? I have to wonder though how well the algorithm copes with "nature" scenes.

Btw, @ ultimatemau, thanks for the tip regarding "Path Guiding in Production". I found it's really a great overview and there are some tips in it which are not in the original papers :-)

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:32 am

@Dawelter: I have tryed UPBP on the Sky/Cloud-Scene. It works yes but in this scene I use a Directional-Lightsource for the Sun. If I create a volumetric Photonmap for the Beam2Beam, Point2Point and Beam2Point-Querrys, than only few Photons are stored in the View-Frustum. This is, because the View-Frustum is very small in compare with the hole Atmosphere from the Earth. If I would use Spot-Light, which spots the View-Frustum or a Directional-Light with Importance-Sampling, than it would perform better. But at the moment, I have not implemented Importance-Sampling für the SubLight-Path-Creation-Step for Directional-Lights. If I have implemented this feature, than I can test UPBP again. At the moment, it works as goog as I don't would use a Photonmap.

dawelter

Post by dawelter » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:02 am

Yes. You are right. Big scene plus directional light is a problem.

Would you spend more time on scenes in general? I believe you have many cool algorithms, but little material to exploit them ;-)