Veach's room scene pimped

A picture is worth a thousand words.
ingenious

Veach's room scene pimped

Postby ingenious » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 am

Last night I played with my... ray tracer, and decided to give a shot at pimping Veach's famous room scene a bit. Here's the result:

Room.png
Room.png (851.87 KiB) Viewed 7131 times

And here's Veach's original:

Veach_room.png
Veach_room.png (374.81 KiB) Viewed 7131 times
Image Click here. You'll thank me later.

spectral

Re: Veach's room scene pimped

Postby spectral » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am

WTF... it is soo clean...

What features does your renderer support (GPU/CPU, BPT+VCM, ...) ? what is the render time ? which hardware ?

Can you share the scene ?

Thx
Spectral
OMPF 2 global moderator

ingenious

Postby ingenious » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:43 am

The image was rendered on the CPU using an algorithm I've been trying to publish unsuccessfully for some time (I suspect due to some prior work on this topic). I call it Overnight Rendering with Bidirectional Path Tracing ;) But actually the image looks pretty good already after 1 hour in my renderer which hasn't been scrutinized by a performance profiler this decade :)

The scene is attached below. It's in 3ds max 2012 format, with V-Ray materials. There are no explicit light sources in the scene, but two disks in the lap shades with emissive materials. I have a custom exporter for my renderer, and I also manually add a homogeneous medium with sigma_a = sigma_s = 0.1.
Attachments
Room.zip
(3.85 MiB) Downloaded 354 times

zsolnai

Postby zsolnai » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:42 pm

That's what I call pimping things up! :) It also seems there's some volume caustics visible near the bunny.

ingenious

Postby ingenious » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Indeed, the volume caustics are subtle but nice. Here's a visualization of length-4 paths only, where these caustics are more prominent. It'd be also cool to reproduce Veach's image pyramid with the contributions of the individual techniques.

Room_length4.png
Room_length4.png (839.28 KiB) Viewed 7045 times

zsolnai

Postby zsolnai » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:46 pm

There's actually built-in support for that in Mitsuba. All you need to do is to comment out/change a macro for it. It produces all the images for the pyramid, which can be easily put together with a script to form the actual pyramids (I've done that using an imagemagick script). Maybe it's easier to re-export it there than implementing the whole logic in your own renderer. :)

Return to “Visuals”