My first Supersize-Image

Show-off, reference material & tools.
XMAMan

Re: My first Supersize-Image

Post by XMAMan » Fri May 03, 2019 3:45 am

Ok here is my first little step to subsurface scattering. I have extended my bidirectional pathtracing with Homogen-Media-Support. So I have now a unbiased estimator. The next steps will be Rayleigh,Mie-Scattering and inhomogeneous media.
Attachments
Media-Cornellbox.jpg
Media-Cornellbox.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 1192 times

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Step 2: Rayleigh- and Mie-Scattering.

For Rayleigh-Phase-Function-Direction-Sampling I used 'Importance sampling the Rayleigh phase function from jeppe' (Inverse CDF)
For the Mie I use tabulation and the formula from 'ScratchAPixel Simulating the Colors of the Sky'

For distancesamling, I use Raab-Woodcock 'Unbiased Global Illumination with Participating Media - Raab et al (2008)'.

For the attenuation-term I use a pre-computed table. A little Idea how to implement I used the paper from Nishita 'Display Method of the Sky Color Taking into Account Multiple Scattering 1996'.

The next step is adding clouds.
Attachments
SkyRowImages.jpg
SkyRowImages.jpg (182 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 am

In the next Image you can see the difference between single-scattering and multiple-scattering
Image 1: Bidirectional Pathtracing (MultipeScattering)
Image 2: Sampling a Particle-Point on the Edge from a Eye-Subpaht (Dont know the offizial name from this path-creation-sampling-routine) (MultipeScattering)
Image 3: Sampline a Particle-Point only on the edge from the Primary-Ray (Single Scattering)
Image 4: Create 20 Segments on the Primary-Ray-Edge and connect it to the sun (Single Scattering)
Attachments
SkyCompare.jpg
SkyCompare.jpg (134.22 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:16 am

This is the well known water-cornellbox :)
Attachments
WasserBox.JPG
WasserBox.JPG (210.64 KiB) Viewed 911 times

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:23 am

And this the Mirror-Box. Got the idea from dawelter^^
Attachments
MirrorBox.jpg
MirrorBox.jpg (394.85 KiB) Viewed 894 times

dawelter

Post by dawelter » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Nice progress! :)

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 am

Ok. Here is my next Participating-Media-Image: Clouds :o :o :o . For the sky I use the Model from Nishita and for the clouds the cumulus-cloud-modul from David Ebert.

The images a rendered with 200 Samples per Pixel. I use lightsourcesampling on random points on the eye-path-segments and lightsourcesampling also for the eye-path-points to create a path from the camera to the light.
Attachments
Wolken_Tag-und-Nacht.jpg
Wolken_Tag-und-Nacht.jpg (103.8 KiB) Viewed 636 times

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:59 pm

The next little step: Unifying Points, Beams, and Paths in Volumetric Light Transport Simulation (UPBP)

Finally after writing 435 UnitTests, to test every single Class/Sampler/SubPathSampler/FullPathSampler/PathcontributionCheck/Pdf match with Histogram-Test, I can now finally say, that I have mastered UPBP. I have written a importer for the scene-desciption-file, which are also is used in the stilllife-scene from SmallUPBP. To compare my result with a reference.

Can someone say me, what is the next step in the topic of Participating Media? Better Distancesampling? Better importancesampling durring segmentsampling?

Here is a image with 2150 samples.
Attachments
Stilliefe2150.JPG
Stilliefe2150.JPG (33.29 KiB) Viewed 288 times
Last edited by XMAMan on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

ultimatemau

Post by ultimatemau » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:04 pm

XMAMan wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:59 pm
The next little step: Unifying Points, Beams, and Paths in Volumetric Light Transport Simulation (UPBP)

Finally after writing 435 UnitTests, to test every single Class/Sampler/SubPathSampler/FullPathSampler/PathcontributionCheck/Pdf match with Histogram-Test, I can now finally say, that I have mastered UPBP. I have written a importer for the scene-desciption-file, which are also is used in the stilllife-scene from SmallUPBP. To compare my result with a reference.

Can someone say me, what is the next step in the topic of Participating Media? Better Distancesampling? Better importancesampling durring segmentsampling?

Here is a image with 500 samples.

Hi,

Very nice progress, really impressed! The next big / most state-of-the-art step you can take is better: distance sampling + sampling scatter direction (phase function sampling) + better Russian roulette and possibly path-splitting! Sounds like a lot?

Check out this paper, as far as I'm concerned it's in the top 3 papers of the year:
https://cgg.mff.cuni.cz/~jaroslav/papers/2019-volume-path-guiding/index.html

For more related papers check out "Path Guiding in Production" from Siggraph this year, must read by the looks of your progress so far:
https://jo.dreggn.org/path-tracing-in-production/2019/guiding.pdf

If you're interested in "Surface Path Guiding" too after reading all that, I'd suggest checking out the links in chapter / section 10 in "Path Guiding in Production". Follow the links. "Practical Path Guiding" is a paper from 2017, but got some nice additions from a more recent paper "Neural Importance Sampling" to optimize the MIS weights during training. Don't shy away from this one, it has source code you can look at too.

Have fun!

Cheers

XMAMan

Post by XMAMan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 pm

He ultimatemau, thank you for you answer. All the Papers sounds good. I will look on that.